This weeks discussion in class produced some interesting a mind bending approaches to theory and the way we look at future through the use of theory.
Not only was our discussion about future it was about the past and present and thinking about time as something that isn’t fixed.
Theory vs. Research
Theory and research may often be confused with one another. So what are the differences?
For me theory is the concept that is derived from research. Usually theory has come to a conclusion about a certain topic. Research creates more knowledge about a subject which would help aid the theories conclusion.
And how is this presented in art?
In my group we split future into three parts according to the writings/artworks we researched in preparation for this week’s workshop.
- Hayden Fowler’s New World Order categorising it as ‘restorative fantasy.’
- Julian Rosefeldt’s The Shift as ‘impact of technics’
- Eyal Gever’s Technology and Art: Engineering the Future as ‘the unknown of technics.’
- Art is being used as a tool for change
- Artists use their work to predict their own idea of the future
- Hayden Fowler explores how nature will ultimately prevail in the dystopian future
The Impact of Technics
- Technology has alienated us from nature
- Past and present technology has shaped how our contemporary society operates
- Julian Rosefeldt paints a melancholic picture of what people once thought would better our future
The Unknown of Technics
- Art never sits still anymore, it transforms very quickly because of technology
- Living in our ‘now’ is always unknown, we see so much change on a day to day basis
- There are unlimited possibilities with the future of technics
Final Work Ideas
A possible topic that I’m considering exploring for my final project is the effect of social media on our psyche; are we becoming robotic with our emotions? I’m exploring general research to do with the effect social media has on our lives for a short documentary in my film class, so this could possibly be an avenue for me to bring this research alive in a different way.